One of a Kind: These are the actual cymbals you see and hear in the video below. We have weighed these 14in Artisan Hi Hats at 1000g on top and 1420g on the bottom and separated them from our regular stock.
Deeply dark and rich, complex tone with crisp yet soft ‘tah’ stick response for dynamic responses at all volumes.
Artisan cymbals blend old-world cymbal-making with innovation. Traditionally hand-hammered into shape and sound by Sabian craftsmen, Artisan cymbals also receive hand-guided large-peen hammering for extra dark, complex musicality.
- Sabian metallurgists combine measured amounts of copper, tin and silver to create centuries-old recipe for Sabian B20 bronze alloy
- Molten-hot B20 bronze is very carefully hand-poured into pots, and once cooled, yields already-musical B20 bronze castings
- B20 castings are meticulously hand-separated by weight and prepared to remove all impurities
- Castings are fed through a large rolling oven up to a dozen times, involving a crew of 5 men who must work with choreographic precision under intense heat
- During the entire rolling process, blanks must be rotated carefully to create a molecular weave for strength and durability
- As castings become cymbal blanks, custom-built machine tools are expertly hand-operated to press bells into blanks, drill holes in center, cut down to size and bump for approximate shape
- Hand-hammering artisans shape and form each cymbal with 2,000 to 4,000 precision-placed hammer blows, adding musicality, complexity, and dark tone
- Lathe craftsmen operate specially retrofitted lathes, thinning cymbal to desired gauge while adding crucial tonal grooves
- Cymbal must be trimmed to exact size and the edges buffed for smoothness
- Each individual cymbal is hand-tested and hand-weighed in the Vault by Vault sound specialists, a critical process
- Each individual cymbal is placed on a shelf to age, allowing the frantically active molecules to slow down and stabilize
- Each individual cymbal is once again hand-tested by two Vault specialists to ensure they fit the parameters of the series and model